By Kevin Durkin
What are Chakras ?
- The presence of latent energy at certain points of our body was known to the ancients.
- The word Chakra literally means, wheel. There are six of these wheel like spinning vortex, or nerve centers distributed along the centerline of the body and one above the top of the skull.
- A chakra is a point of intersection between various planes. The chakra is at the intersection of the physical body and the subtle body.
- The Subtle Body is the non-physical psychic body. What we refer to as our mental processes, in Yoga philosophy is referred to as a body, The Subtle Body. We experience the Subtle body as thoughts and feelings. It can be measured as an electro magnetic field found within and around all living creatures.
- These Chakras are the gateways between the subtle and the physical body. Where the activity of one body, such as emotional activity, connects and interplays upon the activity of another body, the organs, nerve ganglia, and glands of the physical body.
Examples of how we refer to chakras in our everyday language:
- Endowing the Heart with the qualities of love
- Endowing the guts with the quality of perseverance and fortitude
- The Hallow from Christian Orthodoxy as the crown chakra
- Identifying colors with emotions:
- Green - Envy
- Yellow - Cowardice
- Red - Rage
- Blue - Depression
Home Page | Class Locations & Times | Workshops | Articles |Images of India | Email Kevin